SPLASHSIG.WEBS.COM

Forum for Scale model waterbourne aircraft

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Guess Who's Been on a 1930's Civilian Amphibian?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brews

PostSubject: Guess Who's Been on a 1930's Civilian Amphibian?!   Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:52 am

Yesterday, I had to go to a place called Klemtu. It's a First Nation reservation on the mainland. To get there, I had to drive 3.5 hrs north to a place called Port Hardy, and catch a Saab 340 to a more obscure place called Bella Bella (a place so beautiful, they had to say it twice??). Once there, I sufferred a trip on a 1930's amphibian:

taking off from the runway at Bella Bella:

and landing at Klemtu:

Klemtu:

Last edited by Brews on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brews

PostSubject: Re: Guess Who's Been on a 1930's Civilian Amphibian?!   Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:52 am

This morning, there was a bit of strife. All of Pacific Coastal's seaplanes were fogged-in at Port Hardy, and I couldn't be brought from Klemtu in time to catch the Saab back to Port Hardy, so I had to charter an alternative - in this case it was a Cessna 185:

Note the method of removing the seaplane from the launch-ramp (at Coal Harbour). Unique in my experience!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr Fester

PostSubject: Re: Guess Who's Been on a 1930's Civilian Amphibian?!   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Fantastic pics Brews, very cool.

Closest I came was a quick hop in a Twin Otter island hopping in the Maldives, water landings can be quite exciting (is that the right description Shocked ) BTW the fork lift wouldn't have worked with the Otter :-/

Thx for sharing.

Doc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brews

PostSubject: Re: Guess Who's Been on a 1930's Civilian Amphibian?!   Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:13 pm

I've never thought about whether a "Landing" is the right term to apply to a seaplane. I think it is.

The pilot operated the forklift, by the way!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karl

PostSubject: Re: Guess Who's Been on a 1930's Civilian Amphibian?!   Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 am

Great stuff Brews! That looks fantastic! I would dearly love to take a trip on a seaplane one day...

Karl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guess Who's Been on a 1930's Civilian Amphibian?!   

Back to top Go down

Guess Who's Been on a 1930's Civilian Amphibian?!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1