SPLASHSIG.WEBS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SPLASHSIG.WEBS.COM

Forum for Scale model waterbourne aircraft

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Contrail 1:72 Saro London

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Brews

Contrail 1:72 Saro London Empty
PostSubject: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 12:23 am

As per Jen's request, here is my thread for the Saro London. This is not a kit for the faint-hearted or rivet-counter. I certainly haven't made a blistering start, but I've cut out the wings and fuselage to date. Things that I have noticed are:

1. unimpressive level of surface detail
2. challenge for transport (bear in mind that this will be in cabin-baggage!)
3. Aeroclub engines and Lewis guns (sorry Jen, but it WILL be military) will be handy.
4. May source a suitable cowling from an injection kit or two (I'm thinking that a Matchbox Stranraer is a good bet at this stage). I will not mould up one and copy it, because from bitter past experience, this always takes longer than I think it will. The kit cowling is ummm woeful, and the nacelles are a little worse for wear and tear (literally, they're torn).

Still, I'll do what I can to make it durable (and doable). Pics are useless at this stage, I think. Just trust me that I've started it.
Back to top Go down
Jen

Jen

PostSubject: Re: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 9:23 am

Moved to the WIP section (that's what I meant by 'here')

Have you managed to do any more since we last spoke? Wouldn't blame you if you haven't, I still haven't started the Clipper! Laughing

I know it will be military too, as is my Southampton. It is at least silver though, it's the camo birds I'd rather not have Wink

Jen.
Back to top Go down
Brews

PostSubject: Re: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 9:25 am

I've probably done a little more. The most I've done, really, is to realize that the Stranraer's nacelles will be suitable! The vac wings incorporated the nacelles into the moulding, and it's really shapeless now.
Back to top Go down
Brews

PostSubject: Re: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Progress pics:
Contrail 1:72 Saro London Picture18
Contrail 1:72 Saro London Picture19
Contrail 1:72 Saro London Picture20
Contrail 1:72 Saro London Picture21
Contrail 1:72 Saro London Picture22
Contrail 1:72 Saro London Picture23
Contrail 1:72 Saro London Picture24
Contrail 1:72 Saro London Picture25
Back to top Go down
Brews

PostSubject: Re: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 8:53 am

I got some "Aluminium Tape" yesterday from Walmart. It comes in a roll like duct tape, but you have to peel it off, like BMF. It's actually better than some Testors BMF that I have.

Contrail 1:72 Saro London P7140004

This model is a real chore. Sure, it's a vacform, but:
  • The holes for the tailfin strtuts are moulded into the wrong half of the tailplane. It's either that, or the moulding for the gun-ring is on the wrong half. Take your pick.
    The internal builkheads don't fit. Not even close!
    The lower wing appears to be the right length, but there is a 5mm wide section near the root that is moulded with a "crossed-out" area on the styrene. WTF?

Anyway, at this stage, the fuselage halves are sanded. Job Done. Also, the tail fins, and one has had the metal finish applied to the fin (I pulled it off the rudder, and need to clean the tacky adhesive off with some serious glue-remover ... like a citrus product or something.

Shopping list includes Aeroclub Lewis Guns and scarff rings, Pegasus engine and cowling (if possible) otherwise the cowling will need to be sourced from a Matchbox Stranraer. I'll need to think about whether I want this on a stand, in some water, or on a beaching dolly. Of the above, I prefer the beaching dolly least.
Back to top Go down
Dr Fester

Dr Fester

PostSubject: Re: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Sounds like you have your hands full Brews Wink

Once you get started with the foiling it will seem to take an eternity, but worth it in the end. Good progress and sounds like I might have to try some of those Aeroclub Lewis guns for my Curtiss.

I await your progress with anticipation.....

Doc
Back to top Go down
Jen

Jen

PostSubject: Re: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:43 pm

Me too Very Happy

Jen.
Back to top Go down
Brews

PostSubject: Re: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Goodies ordered from Aeroclub. After searching for 11' props, I thought ...ooh the 12' Fairey Reed might do, and as it turns out, this is what Aeroclub recommends for the LONDON.

Doofus.

Sooooooo my order includes 3 scarff rings + Lewises, 2 of each of 2 different Pegasus + cowls, and 2 of the above props, plus some MG 131s, Fw 190 u/c legs ... yada yada yada 30 quid.

Bastages. Smile
Back to top Go down
Brews

PostSubject: Re: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 12:29 pm

My Aeroclub order is with me. However, I did get two packs of props. I wonder if I didn't understand that the packs contained two props? So, if anyone needs a pair of Fairey Reed 3-bladed props 12' diameter in 1:72 scale, let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Contrail 1:72 Saro London   Contrail 1:72 Saro London Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Contrail 1:72 Saro London
Page 1 of 1